Canadian National Road Safety Week
National Road Safety Week is sponsored by the Canada Safety Council, which is a non-profit association dedicated to providing national leadership in safety through information, education and collaboration.
The week of May 16-22 is dedicated to road safety in Canada. One group that doesn’t receive as much attention as they should are the vulnerable road users. This group includes pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, and makes up about 24% of all fatalities and seriously injured each year in traffic crashes.
We have included some basic tips from the Canadian Safety Council below to help make our roads safer for everyone:
- No matter the mode of transportation, always obey the rules of the road
- Be extra vigilant at intersections, there is a higher likelihood of accidents in intersections
- Never assume you have the right-of-way, be defensive
- Never text while driving, cycling or walking
- Wear bright or reflective clothing when walking or riding your bike
- Always keep your eyes and your mind on the task at hand
Help us celebrate National Road Safety Week by keeping the roads safe for everyone this summer.