Steps to Keeping Your Employees Healthy
During flu and cold season it is important to have a plan in place within your company that will encourage a healthy work environment. Here are a few simple steps that your company can implement to protect employees from spreading illnesses.
- Encourage your employees to get vaccinated. Offer days and times when they can leave to get the vaccination or host a flu vaccination clinic.
- Have a plan in place. Allow your employees to get involved with developing and reviewing a pandemic flu plan or develop a new one. Be sure to share your policies regarding your plan with all employees.
- Work with the community, including companies you do business with, to improve response efforts. Illness can have a major impact on the community and it takes a concerted effort by everyone.
- Consider allowing sick employees enough time to recover so that they will not return to work only to get sick again or expose others.
- Send sick employees home as soon as possible. If the employees cannot go home immediately, try to separate them from others.
- Have supplies available such as hand soap, tissue, and other items that will help prevent exposure and encourage healthy habits.
- Consider an Evaluation Program. Have employees screened each year to evaluate their health and alert them of risks.
- Utilize your country’s own notification system regarding areas most affected by the flu. Most countries provide a website with updates, information, and even a symptom checker.
It is important to provide guidance to employees to ensure awareness of what to do should they become ill or if a coworker appears sick. Prevention is key and creating an environment where everyone can take care of themselves, will not only help ill employees return sooner, it may also prevent others from becoming exposed.